Jaina Proudmoore

1800354_734334919912864_1590855550_n

I don’t think it’s a secret that I am a fan of the World of Warcraft franchise, and one of the characters I like is Jaina Proudmoore. I particularly like her look in the comic, where there’s no clumsy pauldrons and the colour scheme is more simple than the in-game model.

I wanted to make this costume easy and quick, and it will be something to wear when I need a break from heavy armors. Since I’m not competing in this, I haven’t paid too much attention to craftmanship. Craftmanship is important, but sometimes, it’s nice to just make something quick and in my way. And here’s how I did it:

 

1620815_741112049235151_87458496_n

The bra in this photo will be the base for my top. The purple fabric is going to be used for the details and the skirt I’ve created using a modified dress pattern.

10346305_789127251100297_3077712688547910093_n

The first thing I did was to add white fabric on top of the bra and a gold border at the top. All this was added using fabric glue. The white fabric is super stretchy, so it sits smoothly.

10171765_791523914193964_2845107664050224959_n

I added a gold border at the bottom of the bra, and drafted a pattern for the part that goes around my back and covers the area between breasts and belly button. I drafted it using fabric that I draped around me and then drew the pattern on.

10173566_793117310701291_7727838144667039044_n

I added more gold borders to the lower part of the top.

10364209_800511156628573_5026441875746134785_n

The sleeve pattern was made with a basic sleeve pattern that I modified to be wider, and using the same pattern, I also made a pattern where the seam is at the front instead of at the armpit-part of the arm. I didn’t stitch it together along the side seam.

10336682_798694533476902_3046839636128152673_n

Both sets of sleeves got a golden border. In the reference image, there is a sort of runic-looking pattern on the sleeve, so I used some runes from the game to create a similar pattern. I did this by first creating the pattern with hot glue, then glueing gold fabric on top of the hot glue.

10370450_802575289755493_6447423448612922635_n

The purple/gold part of the skirt is seperate from the white part, and I started out with a belt. It is made of craft foam covered with gold fabric (glued on). The buckle is made the same way, the pattern on it made using the hot glue method also used in the sleeve. The buckle is held in place with push buttons.

10462479_802575296422159_424264142685355517_n

I drafted the patterns and fitted them on a mannequin. After I cut out the fabric, I added the golden borders using craft foam, gold fabric and contact glue. I also used contact glue to attach the borders to the fabric.

1511061_803882529624769_3497772696919190790_n

10426179_805955662750789_8716270972277986316_n

Once all borders were done, I attached everything to the belt using contact glue.

10505302_673478819408043_833056341182318786_n

And thus – Jaina is complete!

IMG_1623 copy3

 

But wait! There is more!

I also made a staff for this cosplay.

10402681_808294219183600_3301973760919060260_n

Started off with two PVC pipes, cut one a bit shorter and added some worbla to hide where the two parts connect

10391455_808947962451559_5772535541561061629_n

Then I worked on the gems. I used Ikea table protection mat “PRÖJS” and a pepakura (paperfolding) pattern. Here’s a link to the pattern in pdo-format and in pdf-format.

1545174_808759589137063_1277957088638278003_n

Painted the rough (inside) surface with acrylics, then glued the parts together with hot glue

149978_814416235238065_7253078770615712455_n

Same deal with the bottom gem

10537035_817084611637894_7992386784800777607_n

I added 2 wide-angle and one spotlight green LEDs to the top gem, and 1 wide-angle LED in the bottom gem.

10428029_815853508427671_3679082290245006720_n

For the “arms” that hold the gem in place, I used EVA foam as a base, and covered it with Worbla.

10299544_818501731496182_242007826767030693_n

I used universal primer to prime the PVC pipe and wood glue for the worbla parts.

10482844_820408387972183_1143490931393547091_n

Last, I painted everything with acrylic paint, added button cell batteries and switches, which are hidden inside the pipe – the pipe can be taken apart in the middle for easy transport.

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *